The new BMW S 1000 RR
The improvement of performance
“Our fascinating brief was to take the predecessor model – which has been a dominating force in all disciplines for 10 years – and significantly improve on its performance. This we translated into straightforward targets: one second faster on the track, more than 10 kg lighter and easier to control. These targets were taken as the basis for every decision. The result is a fascinating new motorcycle that exceeds the targets we set ourselves and will once again set the benchmark.”
Says Claudio De Martina, Vehicle Technology Team Leader.
The new BMW S 1000RR: Lighter, faster and easier to control
Recently the new BMW S1000RR 2019 made its first appearance at the EICMA 2018 show. The manufacturer presented their newly-developed engine and suspension; we are talking about an 8 hp increase to 207 hp (205 hp in the USA) and a weight reduction from 208 kg to 197 kg (193.5 kg with the M Package). The first model of this supersports bike was launched in 2009, and this is its third generation. This new RR is 1 second faster than its predecessor and BMW Motorrad brought their electronic assistance (traction and wheelie control, their ABS and Hill start control) to a whole other level.
A newly developed engine
With BMW ShiftCam Technology: Rideability and sprint capability benefit from substantially increased torque across a wide engine speed range.
This new 4-cylinder in-line engine is now 4 kg lighter than before and achieves another level of performance. BMW’s ShiftCam Technology enhances the power in the lower and medium engine speed range and increases top-end power. This technology varies the valve timing and stroke on the intake side. A revised intake passage and lighter exhaust system (1.3kg lighter) increase overall power.
A completely new suspension with further developed suspension geometry for even greater ride precision and further improved handling.
With a focus on ergonomics, BMW Motorrad created a completely new frame that applies force to the engine structure directly. A combination of the new riding geometry, optimised wheel load distribution and substantial weight reduction give a significant increase in riding dynamics.
The Full Floater Pro kinematics in the rear wheel suspension also contributes to a better suspension performance. In short, the riders of the new RR will benefit from improved handling, increased traction, more transparent feedback, improved user-friendliness and better controllability. Electronic suspension DDC (Dynamic Damping Control) is available and does not compromise in term of suspension set up.
Pro racing or ambitious track riding?
A shim package is available for selective adaptation.
- – Rain
- – Road
- – Dynamic
- – Race
Pro modes for race track application and motorsport
- Race Pro 1-2-3
- They are all freely programmable
It gives you access to DTC (Dynamic Traction Control), ABS, wheelie detection (standard and adjustable for the first time), throttle curve (torque adjustment), and engine brake to suit the rider’s skills level and riding style. Launch Control, Pit Lane Limiter, and ultra-fast shifting up and down without the clutch by the HP Shift Assistance Pro is standard feature.
ABS Brake system:
The ABS system already provides a very high degree of performance and safety when braking in a straight line. ABS Pro brings it to another level to increase the safety when braking in banking positions as well.
A 6.5-inch TFT (Thin Film Transistor) screen specially developed for supersports racing gives the maximum of range information. The pure Ride screen is for regular information for road. The three Core screens are for race track use with a rev counter displayed in analog form (Core 1 and Core 2) or as a bar chart (Core3).
- Racing Red
- Motosport paint finish
The “M Package”
This option includes:
- Motosport paint finish
- M carbon fiber wheels
- M light weight battery
- M Chassis Kit with rear height adjustment and swingarm pivot
- M sport seat
- Pro Mode
Personally, I’m really excited by this new generation, because BMW has set the bar for everyone. The previous generation has been dominant on podiums around the world and I can’t wait to see what the new RR has to offer on the track and the street. The new S1000RR will be entering the FIM World Superbike Championship (WorldSBK) in the upcoming 2019 season with the BMW Motorrad race team. It should be really interesting.
The highlights of the new BMW S 1000 RR:
- 4 kg lighter, newly developed 4-cylinder in-line engine with BMW ShiftCam Technology for variation of valve timings and valve strokes on the intake side.
- Increased output and torque: 152 kW (207 hp) (in the USA: 151 kW (205 hp)) at 13 500 rpm and 113 Nm at 11 000 rpm.
- At least 100 Nm of torque from 5 500 to 14 500 rpm.
- Effort-saving, linear torque curve: further improved ridability and controllability due to increased torque in the lower and medium engine speed range.
- Newly developed suspension featuring Flex Frame, with the engine taking on more of a load-bearing function.
- Significantly improved ergonomics due to Flex Frame.
- Refined suspension geometry for further improved handling, increased traction and crystal-clear feedback in the threshold range.
- Further developed electronic damping adaptation Dynamic Damping Control DDC with new valve generation as an optional equipment item.
- New rear wheel suspension weighing 300 g less than before with Full Floater Pro kinematics.
- Weight reduction of 11 – 14.5 kg to 197 kg when fully fuelled (DIN unladen) and 193.5 kg with M Package.
- New exhaust system weighing some 1.3 kg less, with front silencer.
- New 6-axis sensor cluster.
- Further developed Dynamic Traction Control DTC as standard
- DTC Wheelie Function as standard.
- Adjustable (+/- shift) DTC Wheelie Function as an optional equipment item.
- Engine brake function, adjustable.
- ABS Pro for increased safety when braking, also in banking position, as standard.
- New riding modes “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic” and “Race” as standard and “Pro Modes” option with three additional configurable modes “Race Pro 1-3” for optimum individual adaptation to conditions.
- Launch Control for perfect starts comes with “Pro Modes” option.
- Pit Lane Limiter for precise pit lane speeds also included with the “Pro Modes” option.
- Shift Assistant Pro for fast up and down shifting without clutch, standard.
- Shift pattern can easily be reversed.
- Electronic cruise control as an ex works option.
- New instrument panel with 6.5-inch screen offering excellent readability and featuring a Pure Ride screen as well as three Core screens.